07 Jul Beetroot Cupcakes
This recipe embodies the flavour of carrot cake, but has the appearance of a red velvet cupcake. Perfect for a bit of experimental baking these holidays.
Makes 12 medium sized cupcakes
175ml canola oil
5ml vanilla essence
60ml hot water
240g cake flour
15ml baking powder
1 ml salt
5ml ground cinnamon
200g finely grated beetroot
100g finely grated carrot
50g coarsely chopped pecan nuts or walnuts
- Preheat oven to 180ºC and grease muffin pans or place cupcake paper in pans.
- Separate the eggs. Place the yolks into a large mixing bowl or a food processor, and add sugar, oil, vanilla essence and hot water. Beat or process until just combined.
- Add the flour, baking powder, salt, and spices and beat until smooth. Add the carrots, beetroot and nuts, mix until just combined.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff. Fold into the batter until evenly combined.
- Pour into the prepared pans and bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown and cake tester comes out clean.
Lemon butter icing
130g icing sugar
15ml lemon juice
30ml finely grated lemon zest
Combine ingredients in a mixing bowl and beat until well combined. Add lemon juice if more liquid is required. Pipe the icing onto the cooled cupcakes. For special occasions sprinkle pomegranate pips or chopped pecan nuts on top.